Sunday, July 27, 2014

Nursery Happenings...

We finally started to make a little headway on the nursery.  It's starting to actually look like a nursery rather than just a random room.  My mom helped me paint the walls.  We did 3 walls a light gray and one wall white which I later did gray stripes on.  We got a crib.  After 2 failed attempts at Craigslist, we opted to just order one.  We were looking for black and unless we wanted to pay a ridiculous amount at the baby stores, we had to order one online.  Here's a couple pictures of all of that...
 

 
 
  We got the dresser from my parents that my mom had when she was a kid and I also used when I was a kid.  It's gone through 4 different paint colors in the past 50 something years.  So Darren spent hours and hours stripping all the paint off and sanding it.  Then I primed it and painted it black and got some more modern-ish handles.  I think the transformation is awesome and I love it.  It will serve as good storage as well as the changing table.  Here are before and after pictures of all the hard work... We didn't actually get a proper before picture so these are during the stripping and then the drawers are after the paint was stripped off.
 


This dresser has been antique white, olive green (blame the 60s), canary yellow, and back to white...

 
 
 
and Ta-da... doesn't it look so much better?? I'm quite proud of the outcome and I'm hoping it will be in the family for several more generations.  They just don't make furniture like this anymore.
 
 
Next up is the curtains and crib skirt.  Thanks to my very talented mother who professionally makes window treatments for designers and such, I just have to buy the fabric and I'll have custom treatments and bedding.  The problem with that is, I'm kind of a snob lol so I found some fabric that I really like but it was pretty pricey so we went to look for some fabric at a huge fabric store in the area.  I just couldn't find anything that compared to the one fabric I found.  So we are going to take some Ikea panels that I have and replace the bottom third of the panels with this fabric I have picked out.  The fabric will also be used for the bed skirt.  The black out roman shades will just be white with 2 stripes of the color from the fabric.  Here's an example...  I have 3 frames the color of the ones you see in the picture.  I'm going with the geometric fabric and foregoing the striped fabric to save money.  Then we have the grommet panels already.  I think it will look really nice when it's all together.
 
 
  I still have quite a bit to do but it's getting there.  I'm sure my sweet lil' Maddox will never care a thing about his nursery but considering that I'll probably be spending quite a bit of time in there, I thought it would be worth it to find it nice and cozy :)
 
'Til next time!  I really do need to do some pictures... and other than being tired, pregnancy is going pretty well thankfully.  I have my dreaded glucose test on Friday... fun fun.  I'm going to call this week and see if there is any alternative for me since I've had surgery and can't drink all they require you too in such a short amount of time.  We'll see :)
 
Ciao!

 



2 comments:

  1. Wow - looks incredible. I am no good at that sort of interior design! Our children's rooms are painted in completely bright colours, offset by all white furniture and "childish" curtains (some of which now really need replacing as they haven't really aged with the child!!). I love the striped fabric you've chosen - can't wait to see the completed look.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete