Friday, March 22, 2013

I made it through...

Well surgery day was Wednesday.  I had to be at the hospital at 7:30am. I went straight back to be prepped for surgery including the dreaded IV. I didn't care much for the anesthesiologist. He seemed rushed and just kept poking at veins that he thought was there but would turn out to be nothing.  Finally he went to get the ultrasound machine and was able to find a good one in my arm that way. I was very thankful because his next choice was either my foot or my neck. Soon after I got my IV, my family was called back as well as one of my ministers who was there to pray with me. I also got a little something to relax me. Not long after that, I was rolled into the OR. I spoke with Dr. Pirrello for a second and then they put a mask over my face and told me to have a good sleep. I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in recovery. I have no idea how long I was there until I was put into my room. As soon as I was in my room, I asked for my family. They couldn't find them (mainly  because they looked in the wrong waiting room).  Finally my family made it in there about 45 minutes later and they were irritated that no one had found them. I got out of bed and sat in a chair for the rest of the evening and even walked around a few times.  So I definitely didn't sleep that night. Too many interruptions.

Yesterday, they had me up at 6am to sit back in the chair and start drinking protein shake and water every hour.  Along with doing breathing treatments and walking around. No rest for the weary. Around 2, they came in to start discharge stuff and took my IV out with the 3 very sticky pieces of tape. They also took out my drainage tube which felt really weird and uncomfortable. Definitely not something I want to experience again.  Once I got home, I continued on my hourly protein/water regiment.  I decided to sleep on the couch last night because I knew I'd probably be up and down a bit. 

Today, I still feel a lot of pressure in my chest and I really hope that part goes away. Otherwise I seem to be pretty good considering I had pretty major surgery and they took out 80% of my stomach.

I'm not going to weigh until I go to my post-op appointment next week because they said I'd probably gain due to all the fluid they pumped me with. But the morning of the surgery, I had lost 12 lbs since starting the low-carb diet which was only like 2 or 3 weeks ago.  So that's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment